about us | careers | terms & conditions | intranet | extranet | sitemap | contact us
Skip Navigation Links
Skip Navigation Links
Knowledge Hub
Skip Navigation Links
Skip Navigation Links
Resources & Tools
Skip Navigation Links
Skip Navigation Links
Skip Navigation Links
News & Media
Skip Navigation Links
FET Water
Skip Navigation Links
Skip Navigation Links
Mine Water Atlas
Login | Register
Go Search

Hlengiwe Cele 
State of the Nation Address 2014 by the President of South Africa

About 95% of households have access to water, and the remaining 5% who still need to be provided for feel they cannot wait a moment longer, says the President of the Republic of South Africa, Jacob Zuma, during the Joint Sitting of Parliament, Cape Town on Thursday, 13 February 2014.

Despite several outbreaks of water-related service delivery protests in many municipalities in South Africa, the Government boasts of the interventions made over the past 20 years of democracy.   While delivering his speech, President Jacob Zuma lauded the Government’s achievement in building two new large dams that have now been completed, the De Hoop in Limpopo and Spring Grove in KwaZulu-Natal, and promised that the country will soon see the launch of the next phase of the Lesotho Highlands Water Project. 

In his speech President Zuma emphasised that over the past 20 years there has been increasing access to services such as water, sanitation and electricity.  Service delivery protests are not new, he stressed.  A number of protests associated with sanitation service provision, mostly the presence of the bucket system in some parts of the country, have been evident over the past few months. “Government has begun an intensive programme to eliminate the bucket system as part of restoring the dignity of people. Phase One of the programme will eradicate buckets in formalized townships of the Free State, Eastern Cape and Northern Cape. Phase Two will eradicate buckets in informal settlements in all provinces”, said President Zuma.

The president also stressed the importance of agriculture is a key job driver and a provider of opportunities for entrepreneurship. “Our agricultural support programme, Fetsa Tlala, is producing brand new exporters. The first 88 smallholder farmers in this programme supplied the United Nations World Food Programme with 268 tons of maize and beans to send to Lesotho last month. We expect this number to increase” he explained.

Read full speech here

Contact : Hlengiwe Cele , Stakeholder Liaison - hlengiwec@wrc.org.za or call : 012 330 9006

Copyright 2017 - Water Research Commission Designed By: Ceenex