Opportunity to study towards a Master of Science or Master of Humanities degree in the Department of Environmental and Geographical Science at UCT
Applications are invited for individuals wishing to complete a Master of Science or Master of Humanities degree in the Department of Environmental and Geographical Science at the University of Cape Town. The successful candidate will be expected to contribute to a Water Research Commission (WRC) project involving strategic water research in South Africa as well as complete their related degree within the prescribed two years. This award is only open to students of colour and is for the university registration years of 2012 and 2013. The successful candidate will be expected to register at the University by the end of March 2012 and graduate by December 2013.
The award is over two years during which the student will contribute towards the WRC project and complete their degree (MSc by dissertation).
The student should have an interest in water affairs, water research, research management, knowledge and information science and research strategy. For more on the preliminary WRC project work, visit:
Applicants should hold a Bachelor of Science / Humanities (Honours) degree in Environmental Science or an equivalent or relevant degree at an honours level.
R80 000 per annum. The funds are for student fees, research costs, travel and subsistence. They will be awarded bi-annually upon successful project and degree progress as determined by the supervisor.
Application process requirements
· A letter of application outlining the applicant’s research interests (two pages maximum)
· Curriculum Vitae (two pages maximum)
· A sample of your written work to a maximum of 7000 words but no less than 1000. The sample should be of recent work, for example, an academic paper, or an executive summary of your 4th year thesis, or an essay submitted as academic work.
· Certified copies of all academic transcripts
· Contact details of two proposed referees. The referees must be academics who have taught or supervised the applicant
· Copy of identity document
· Applications can be submitted to the address below as a single attached electronic file (.pdf or .doc), as one fax or in one envelope.
· Without exception, the final date and time for applications that have been emailed, faxed or applications arriving at the address by post or delivery is 17:00 on Wednesday 15 February 2012
Candidates should not hold any other permanent professional posts. In terms of specific WRC project requirements, ethnicity requirements apply and this award is therefore only open to students of colour. The selection and award committee reserves the right to cancel incomplete applications, to effect changes to the conditions of the awards and/or to make no awards at all. All successful incumbents must be prepared to comply with the University of Cape Town’s approved policies, procedures and practices for postgraduate students.
Complete applications, including transcripts, letters etc. should be sent to:
Preferably by email to Dr Kevin Winter at: firstname.lastname@example.org or postal/delivery to: Dr Kevin Winter, Environmental & Geographical Science Building, South Lane, Upper Campus, University of Cape Town, Private Bag X3, Rondebosch 7701, South Africa .